Passer au contenu principal
Accueil Faculté ou Institut
Go Search


Since medical care can be expensive in Belgium, it is essential for international students to have health insurance. Before leaving your home country, you should report to your health insurance provider to check if your policy covers all medical expenses for the entire duration of your stay in Belgium. 

Students who are European Union citizens must bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to receive medical assistance. Students who are not EU nationals must take out health insurance from a private insurance company.

1. Nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA)

Nationals of the European Economic Area or from Switzerland are insured during their stay in Belgium through their health insurance company in their home country. They should bring along a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a provisional replacement certificate, which can be obtained from the insurer in the country of origin. No supplementary fees are required. The same applies to students coming from Algeria, Tunisia, Turkey and former Yugoslavia, as these countries have established a specific agreement with Belgium regarding health care insurance. 

If you see a doctor or receive any other medical care while you are in Mons, you will have to pay fees up front. You will receive a medical certificate or a proof of payment receipt, which you can send to your health insurance provider for reimbursement once you return home.

2. If you come from a country outside the EEA

In order to stay in Belgium, you must have health insurance. This can be provided by an insurance company in your home country, or with a Belgian insurance company (approximately €10/month).

 Some insurers offer broader policies that cover other medical expenses, such as hospitalisation, repatriation, and unexpected illness and/or accidents that occur while you are abroad.

Addresses of local health insurance companies can be obtained from the International Office.


Accidents & Third Party Liability Insurance

 Exchange students at the University of Mons receive accident and third party liability insurance. This covers students when travelling to and from the university, when on approved excursions off-site and when participating in educational activities within the university.